- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb boneless & skinless chicken breast tenders, cut into 1″ pieces (thawed but uncooked)
- 4 tbsp cumin, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup canned or frozen corn
- 14 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup Mexican Blend cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsn taco (fajita) seasoning
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 2 medium heads of broccoli cut into florets
- Bring 1 cup of brown rice to boil/simmer with 2 cups of water for 40 minutes on stove top in a pot. You won’t need this until the skillet cooking is done at the end.
- Put large skillet on low heat and add olive oil. Add onion and garlic, saute until translucent. Move mixture to a side of the skillet and add thawed chicken. Sprinkle 1 tbsn of cumin on one side of the chicken pieces, and add salt and black pepper. Saute until a bit golden brown, about 7 minutes
- Add beans, tomatoes,corn, taco (fajita) seasoning and remaining cumin. Bring to a boil, cover and cook for 10 minute
- Add broccoli, zucchini and stir. Sprinkle with cheese, cover and cookon medium heat for another 5 minutes.
- Pour on top a 1/4-1/2 cup of cooked brown rice and mix together. Top with more cheese if you like and avacado slices.