So I love Skinny Mom Recipes! They are healthy and usually pretty easy. I’ve been wanting to try a skinny enchilada recipe because Dustin loves enchiladas but hates how unhealthy they are and I don’t like cheese so I was hoping a skinny recipe would be light on cheese, but still loaded with Mexican flavor. This recipe was awesome for exactly that.
I followed the recipe to a T, but for me the prep time took more like 3o minutes so know that before you make that. Was it worth it? Yes! It was a hit with my hubby! I would add fewer jalepenos next time (personally) because I don’t like things quite as spicy, but my husband thought it was perfect!
TURKEY ENCHILADA NOODLE BAKE
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 23 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
- 12 oz whole grain wide egg noodles
- 2 oz plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 10 oz red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups reduced-fat Mexican shredded cheese blend, divided
- 2 cups frozen yellow corn
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, diced (discard seeds)
- 2 tsp minced garlic (I used 2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 4 oz cream cheese (I used 1/3 reduced reduced fat cream cheese)
- reduced-fat sour cream
- avocado, diced
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 9”×13” baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions.
- In a large bowl, combine Greek yogurt, red enchilada sauce, 1 cup Mexican shredded cheese and frozen corn. Set aside.
- In a large fry pan on medium-high heat, cook ground turkey, about 8 minutes. Drain any fat. Add onion, jalapeños and minced garlic. Cook until onions and jalapeños are slightly tender. Add chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and cream cheese and stir well. Reduce to low heat until cream cheese has softened and is evenly coating turkey.
- Combine turkey mixture with cooked egg noodles and stir in the Greek yogurt mixture. Pour evenly into baking dish and sprinkle top with remaining 1 cup of Mexican shredded cheese. Bake for 15 minutes.
- If desired, serve topped with chopped cilantro, sliced avocado and/or sour cream.
The only change I made was that I used 1/3 less fat reduced fat cream cheese which changed the nutrition information. I was guessing that it made 8 servings and based on the way I made it, the nutrition is as follows:
Fat: 8 g
28 g protein
42 g carbohydrates
6 g fiber
4.5 g sugar
*recipe taken from Skinny Mom Skinny Mom (minor adaptation made).
We loved it! I hope you try it out!