This morning I was hungry for something salty, but of course, healthy so I looked around the kitchen and came up with this. I talk a big game about eating clean and well but reality is with marathon training under way, breakfast is often overlooked even though I know how important it is. I am quick to grab a protein drink or shake but rarely take the time to make “real” food in the morning, and not for lack of time, but rather for lack of desire. I’ve noticed the effects of my erratic eating patterns with training because I’ve lost a few pounds and don’t “feel” as strong as I want to. So I’m aiming to make a commitment to breakfast and rather than reach for my old faithful of egg whites, turkey sausage and toast, today, I decided to throw some veggies in the mix and avocado for healthy fat (keeps you satiated) and see how it tasted. Think omelette for the lazy (my omelette flipping skills are not great).
So here’s what you’ll need:
2/3 cup egg white substitute
1 frozen fully cooked turkey sausage (I used a Jones Dairy Farm turkey sausage patty); could be substitued with meatless sausage for vegetarian option. (I prefer Morningstar Farms Breakfast Patties and the nutrition info is the same just add 20 calories, 2g carbs, and 4g protein)
1/2 medium raw zucchini
1/2 medium raw butternut squash (feel free to add more veggies)
1/4 avacado (for garnish to top)
- Prep your turkey sausage by microwaving for 20 seconds (won’t be hot, but will be lukewarm) and cutting into pieces
- Pre cut 1/2 squash and 1/2 zucchini into tiny pieces
- Spray pan with Pam non stick spray
- Pour 2/3 cup of liquid egg whites into pan at medium heat
- As egg whites starts to whiten, mix in veggie and turkey pieces
- Fold together and scramble for 5 minutes or until egg white scramble is consistency you prefer
- Serve on plate and add avocado slice for added taste
Calories 210 Fat 7g Sugars 2g Carbs 11g Fiber 1 g Protein 24 g
I would love you all to try and tell me what you think! I am betting this will become a staple among your breakfasts!