This past week we made Gimmesomeoven’s garlicky baked shrimp recipe (originally from Real Simple magazine) but substituted equal amounts applesauce for the butter that it called for. It was a tad sweeter than I expected, but super yummy, and VERY healthy! We served it over whole wheat pasta and had a side of veggies but they would also be good all mixed together! Large shrimp work best!
Here’s the recipe (prep time 5-10 min/cook time 14 min)
- 1 lb. raw shrimp, deveined and peeled
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. white wine (we used a chardonnay that we sipped on while cooking)
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup unsweeteed applesauce (substitued for the 4 Tbsp. of melted butter recipe originally called for)
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. fresh Italian-leaf parsley, chopped
- half of a lemon (optional)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
In a bowl, combine the shrimp, garlic, and white wine. Stir to combine, then pour into a baking dish. Spread out evenly, and then season with salt and pepper.
In another bowl, use a fork to mix applesauce, Panko, and parsley until well combined. With your fingers, sprinkle the mixture evenly in the baking dish over the shrimp.
Transfer dish to oven and bake until the shrimp are pink and opaque, about 11-14 minutes. Serve over starch and/or veggie of your choice. Enjoy!!!